Be Prepared with these Storm Safety Tips
86% of Americans aren't prepared for the next big storm. Read these quick storm safety tips to make sure you and your loved ones are prepared for the storm season.
MAKE A STORM PLAN
- Keep the right devices and fresh batteries on hand.
- Lanterns and flashlights are safe alternatives to candles.
- A portable radio is also critical.
- Familiarize yourself with local evacuation routes.
- Have an escape plan and a meeting point that is simple for all family members to remember.
- Ensure that you have made arrangements for your pet should an emergency arise.
- Establish an out-of-state family friend who all members of the family know how to contact.
- Keep an extra cell phone or mobile device and portable batteries on hand to keep your line of communication open.
STORM SUPPLY KIT
- Portable radio
- Bottled water
- First-aid kit
- Medicine/prescription drugs
- Change of clothes (seasonal/waterproof clothing and shoes are recommended)
- Extra cash and personal-identification documents
- Supplies for your pet (muzzle, collar, leash, carrier, proper I.D., and immunization records)
Be prepared with reliable power--stock up on fresh batteries.
You'll need batteries for a variety of devices such as:
- Infant items
- It is also becoming more important to have portable electronic devices such as cell phones, BlackBerrys, MP3 players, and portable gaming devices operating at peak performance during outages.
SEE ALL BLOG POSTS